- Drake Calls for Independent Investigation of UNC Concussion Research Allegations - PRESS RELEASE – NOVEMBER 7, 2019 For immediate release For more information: Dr. B. David Ridpath, Ed.D. President The Drake Group www.TheDrakeGroup.org 740-677-2642 The Drake Group Calls Upon the U.S. Department of Defense Office of the Inspector General to Initiate an Independent Investigation into Allegations of Concussion Related Wrong Doing NEW HAVEN, CT – […]
- College Athlete Health and Protection from Physical and Psychological Harm - The Drake Group has released a position statement today that proposes an educational alternative to “athlete employees.” Drake Group President Gerald Gurney, stated, “Intercollegiate athletics is at a crossroads on the issue of paying college athletes. Should collegiate athletics be a mini-version of the NFL and NBA? See Drake's Position Statement for a viable alternative.
- Need for National Collegiate Athletic Governance Organization Rules Related to Athlete Sexual Misconduct and Other Physical Violence - Given the new Title IX sexual harassment regulations issued in May of 2020, The Drake Group updated its 2016 position statement. Current issues related to college athlete sexual misconduct and other forms of violence, were examined, demonstrating that, other than the U.S. Office of Civil Rights rules that have general applicability to institutions, no uniform […]
- Excessive Athletics Time Demands Undermine College Athletes’ Health and Education and Require Immediate Reform - There is probably no more significant roadblock for college athletes seeking meaningful educations than the unreasonable amounts of time they must engage in practice and other athletics-related activities. In every NCAA and conference survey and through numerous research studies, athletes have made their concerns and needs concerning time spent on their sports known. Excessive athletics […]
- Collegiate Athletics Reform: A Collection of References from the National Catholic Reporter - As suggested in “Telling the truth on campus,” the presidents of our Catholic colleges and universities could be moved to solicit advice from their faculty and others on the place of the value-distorting, sports entertainment business in their schools. They might even go so far as to provide independently verifiable evidence that their athletes are […]
- Football’s dangerous – and for what? - A study found football players who had never suffered a concussion performed worse on basic memory tests as the season progressed. This newly discovered category of cognitive impairment presents a dilemma because the finding suggests athletes may suffer a form of brain injury that is difficult to diagnose and consequently could keep on playing even […]
- Caveat Emptor and Prospective College Athletes - Absent federal and/or state, Bills of Rights for prospective college athletes, Truth in Recruiting legislation, or NCAA Transparency and Accountability Acts, unwitting recruits face quadruple jeopardy, i. e., double-double jeopardy, when they buy into the recruitment packages proffered by NCAA member colleges and universities. This exploitation is especially hard on the academically disadvantaged. How might this be? […]
- Academic Integrity
- Athlete Compensation, Scholarships and Benefits
- Athlete Health, Insurance, Medical
- Athletes’ Rights
- Certification, Accreditation
- Coach and Administrator Salaries
- Congressional Intervention
- Eligibility for Participation
- Enforcement and Due Process
- Ethical and Professional Conduct
- Facility Excesses
- Gender Equity
- NCAA Reform
- Racial Exploitation
- Revenue Generation and Distribution
- Student Fees and Institutional Subsidies
- Tax Preferences
- Transparency and Reporting
Join Our E-Mail List
Sign up for free and receive interesting news and updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign Up Now!
For Email Marketing you can trust.